Nanex ~ 19-Oct-2013 ~ Trillions
Our NxCore database of trades and quotes has grown to over 8.5 trillion records since
we first started the NxCore feed in April 2003. This is the main source of data we used
to produce almost 3,000 papers
and detailed analysis
of market anomalies.
1. The bulk of data is comprised of Quotes.
Trades (114 billion of them) account for just 1.3% of the total.
2. An active trading day can generate 10 billion new quotes and trades.
3. Most of the growth in trades is from adding new futures exchanges and index
(same chart as above but log scale)
4. Opra is clearly the 800-pound gorilla.
No wonder the SEC punted and chose not to process options.
1-millisecond peak message counts between 9:30 and 16:00 on November 7, 2013.
Options (OPRA) now tops out at 10 million per second.
5. Counts of symbols with data. Option contracts shown separately.